Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Stanford Campus

I have been to the Stanford campus many times with both sides of the family that live in the area. I love the Cantor Art Museum and the Hoover tower is always a tourist attraction. My aunt Jenn was married in the Chapel there and her husband went to grad school there. I went to a 4th of July concert with Grandpa Call the summer I worked here before my mission too. I have been to most buildings, but not all. We got to go to Stanford again when Margaret and Dean came to visit last weekend. On Saturday Grandpa Lyons met us there and helped guide us to different buildings and things like that. It was fun to walk around and see things again.

We started at the Athletic Hall of Fame, but it was closed. Next, we walked through the new MBA school on our way to the Hoover Tower. Here is a shot on our way over.
 We went up the elevator to the top floor so that we could see the whole campus. Stanford really owns lots of land in that area of California and you have some amazing views from the top of this tower. Preston sure did seem to like it too! He is such a happy little boy. I love both of these men.
 The Hoover Tower is a bell tower, well...really they are played by a piano like thing. It isn't played that often anymore since the man who does is getting much older. The bells range in size from really small to this huge one. I don't think it was the largest, but close.
 Here is the library across the street from the Hoover Tower. The fountain is just beautiful.
 Then we walked to the Quad. On our way we stopped at one of the beautiful Rodin sculptures. Here is Margaret and Dean really blending in with the scenery. Don't we all feel like this at one point or another?
 Rodin really has some amazing sculptures placed on this campus. I don't think any of them are the originals, but just replicas of the pieces he did.
 The Quad: looking towards the chapel. 
 I just think all of the architecture is absolutely amazing. Even the hallways in the Quad are beautiful with the tiling, the arches, and the stone.
 At the Cantor Art Museum there are many Rodin sculptures. They have most of them outside...like this one. This is one of my favorites and is called the Gates of Hell.
 There was a sculpture of three brothers. I'm not sure what it was really called, but Dean and Neil  stood in front of it...missing Carl.
The trip was really fun and got us walking. Preston did really well with such a long day. After we toured Stanford we ate lunch at one of my absolute favorite places to eat, Cook's. They have the the best fish and chips in the whole area. It was a fun day and we were happy we got to spend it with Margaret and Dean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment