Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crafty and Creative

After looking for a nursing cover online and not finding what I really wanted I decided that it really couldn't be that hard to make my own. I didn't want to pay $40 for one with a pattern that I didn't really like and so I "googled" nursing cover patterns. So many different hits came up! I found lots of women that felt the same way and put their own twist on different patterns and things like that. I have decided to make two nursing covers, so after goin to JoAnn's and finding some simple fabric I made my first one by following a tutorial found here. It's a blog called Prudent Baby that I have come to really love! This one I made only took me about an hour or so and with only one layer of fabric was really easy. I have found another tutorial that I want to try for my second one to make it reversable and add a pocket on it. I made this first one for about $10! So, I saved so much money and also got to use my new sewing machine that I got for my birthday! (Thanks Mom and Dad!)

Here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like:
I even used some boning to make the "Hooter Hider" look come to life. This fabric was nice on both sides, so I wasn't so worried about doubling it up. What do you think of the result?! I love it!
 Here is a closer look at what the fabric looks like, along with the amazing top. I have to say that I was so impressed with how easy the tutorial was to follow too! The only thing I would do differently is make the second strap a little shorter. There was way too much excess for me, but maybe others like it long. Who really knows! The fabric doesn't look as vibrant in these pictures as it is in real life too, but I still like it!
For my next one I am going to try to do buttons instead of the hooks that I did for this one. The hooks aren't hard to use, and a little cheaper, but I think it might be a little easier to use if I could just bring the strap around my head and button it up really easily. I will make sure to post the other one as I get around to finishing it.

I have really spent lots of time sewing this week. I was able to hem up a shower curtain that I cut for an art project in our bathroom that we are remodeling, sew two receiving blankets for humanitarian aid, and a few other small must-do's that I had lying around.

I have been feeling a little overwhelmed latley with all that needs to get done before little Preston joins us. I have lots of small projects everywhere that I need to finish, get things done at work, clean the house, wash all his clothes-make sure he has enough clothes-and random other daily chores, like making dinner and doing our normal laundry, etc. Is this a normal feeling? And with all of this going on all I want to do is keep sewing! I would love to make some pillows for our living room, a teething bumper for the crib, frames, a new headboard...and so many other things. It might be a small obsession right now, but I am learning how to control it all! I have come to learn that I need to remind myself that he is going to decide when he wants to come and all I can do is stay calm and pretend like I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment